- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook onions, carrots and salt in oil 5 to 8 minutes or until softened. Add beef; cook 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes. Stir in broth, pepper flakes and Italian seasoning; heat to simmering. Break pasta in half, then thoroughly rinse under cold water. Tuck pasta into simmering liquid, covering completely. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 13 to 15 minutes or until pasta is soft and sauce is reduced slightly.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Mix up this dish with different shapes of pasta, like penne or fusilli.
- For an extra veggie boost, stir in a couple of cups of spinach or baby kale just before serving.
I substituted parsley for basil for the topping. It was great!
Also, I used 3 beef buillon cubes with 4 cups of water to create the beef broth.